Friday, February 26, 2010

attitudes

Attitudes-you hear that word and you kinda cringe. You know that that word is almost never a based on anything positive and you are just waiting for a bomb to hit you. Attitudes-should almost be a swear word for mothers, you know the kind, like crap or damn it. Not one of the biggies that get you stared at in public because you just muttered it under your breath as your child, once again, has decided to become a human pinball as you walk down the crowded aisle. I should feel better as I mumble it to myself. I should feel release that I have at least named the monster in the closet. I should feel joy that the dead elephant in the living room has been identified.
But I'm not. I feel as though I am battling the attitudes in this house on a daily basis. Sometimes they are little ones such as not saying please or thank you, picking up your dirty clothes. and my personal favorite "but why mom". Other times they are huge attitudes, hitting me or dad, being disrespectful to a teacher or babysitter, the knock down drag out fight over the fact that YES I AM THE MOM and sometimes that is enough.
I wonder what I am to do with tonight though? K is still sick, still coughing so hard, and still needs to be with me out here not only to make sure that she is OK through the night but so that her sister can sleep. Once again it seems like such a small thing to me but A is truly upset. She truly believes that she is being intentionally separated from the group and is beginning to resent that fact. The attitude is not so much that she wants the attention but that she wants to know that she is loved just as much as K and that I prove it.
So again I have to ask, what do we do now? Hubby had a wonderful plan though. I love his plans. A gets a daddy date all by herself on Saturday. K doesn't get to come because she is sick. Just A and Daddy going to lunch and the store to look at the toys. It takes so little to change these attitudes sometimes.
Attitudes-big, little, or honest, like everything else in life, are real and I have to choose how to handle them without developing an attitude of my own.
If you don't laugh, you'll cry

No comments:

Post a Comment